Moving...Plan Ahead and Get Organized
Moving can be one of the most stressful experiences in life. Getting yourself and your family organized will take the stress out of the day and allow you to focus on the fun stuff - like the fact that you're moving into a great new home!
Here are a few quick pointers for an easier move:
- Create a timetable and checklist. You may want to get some quotes from moving companies early in the game. You'll feel a comforting sense of accomplishment as items are checked off and you have a idea as to the moving costs to expect and arrangements to make.
- Give everyone in the family their own responsibilities, including your kids. It's a great way to make sure everyone feels involved.
- If you can afford to, use a moving service. Having professionals do the work for you is a huge way to simplify a move.
- Use your agent as a resource. She can usually suggest moving companies, cleaning services, decorators and more. You can find some of these on her Links of Reference page.
- Give yourself a "time cushion." If possible, don't move in the same day the previous owners are moving out. If you have some extra time, you can also go into the empty house to clean or paint.